Saturday, 14 November 2009

Ten on a Tuesday (+ Tre)

So we have been without home nets for 10 days, coming back online tonight.  Not sure why.  BT didn't say (couldn't or wouldn't, I don't know).  Anyway, I'm back.  But not in time for Tuesday.  So I've subtley changed the title, adding Tre (Norwegian for Three, in honour of me being three days late and heading to Norway this weekend).  Chelsea over at Ring and Roots has posted some tough questions this week but I'll do my best.

1. What gift are you most proud of giving?


I'm not sure.  I love giving gifts but to pick a favourite is hard.  Really really hard.  I'll narrow it down to one though. The first one that stands out is some theatre tickets to my Dad and my now-step mum.  It was within the first year of them dating (thinking of Dad dating sounds weird, and little ick, eww, but anyway).  I had been working an after school job at the local cinemas so it was the first Christmas I really had some cash to splash (yeah, I earnt about $100AUD a week so not really very much!).  Anyway, a stage show of the Hobbit was coming to town and I knew that they would love it.  Things were pretty tight for a while growing up and theatre is just something they didn't spend money on (how things have changed - they can't get enough of it now, and I'm so glad for them).  And they got a proper date.  That sounds weird, but us three kids somehow managed to ruin most of their dates with sporting injuries requiring medical attention.  I think in the first 18 months they were together, there were 8 dinners called off, spent waiting at the local A&E or the doctors rooms.  It's a long running joke.  Anyway, two tickets aren't a substantial gift, size wise.  So the wrapping was half the fun.

To hide what I'd given them, I put the tickets in an DL envelope.  I then put the DL envelope in an A$ envelope, filled with cheap chunky glitter.  The A4 envelope then went inside a big box.  So as to weigh the box down, I put in a brick.  So as for the box to have sound effects, I put in a half bottle of water that sloshed right around and a half full jar of gravel for additional sound effects.  See, shaking Christmas presents is rife in my family.  I then filled the box with balloons before sealing and wrapping it.  Anyway, when they opened the box, they couldn't stop laughing at all the various "gifts" before eagerly ripping open the A4, sending glitter everywhere.  It really did add a little bit of disco to the Christmor decor that year.  Oh, and they loved the show.  We all have a framed pic of them all dressed up and heading out.  To think that was more than ten years ago.  Yikes.    So yeah, you could say that one of the best gifts I gave was a half full jar of gravel.  What can I say, I'm generous!



2. What’s the best gift you ever received?

I wish I had a beautiful loving story here, but I'm not sure I do.  I don't think I've ever been in love.  I've had my heart just about broken, but I don't know...
Is it naf to say my ipod?  I know everyone has one and I was late to the party but when I got mine towards the end of 2007 I was just delighted with it.  It's the big clunky 80g silver one but it was exactly what I wanted.  Knowing I was moving overseas, getting meant I could put all my music on there and tuck my CDs away in storage.  It is so so handy having my music with me, all the time.  Comes in useful on things like 14 hour train journeys between NY and Toronto, and on my 3 hour daily commute between London and St Albans.  I think I love it because I was given it at my family birthday breakfast.  I love family birthdays and really miss that, being away.  

3. In honor of my husband: What’s the worst injury you’ve ever had?

I don't think I've posted long enough for you to realise just how clumsy I am.  Like super clumsy.  For instance, I was walking through the foyer at work one fine morning last year.  Then I wasn't walking.  For the life of me (and the guy I was walking with), we can't work out just how I tripped over (wearing flats on a flat as a tack surface that I'd walked over a 1000 times).  In tripping over the air, I rolled my right ankle.  In order to try not and hit the deck (FAIL!) I twisted my left knee.  End result?  Torn ligaments in both my right ankle and left knee.  After 2 months physio, my right ankle was strong enough for me to have the required surgery on my left knee and go on crutches.  Did I mention I also tore the cartilege and split the lining on the back of my knee cap?  So now it is all fine.  I twist my ankle regularly now, and it swells but it doesn't affect me that much.

Told you I was clumsy!!


4. They say everyone gets 15 minutes of fame. Who’s 15 minutes has gone on far too long? (The Gosselins are not acceptable answers, be more creative.)

Kevin Rudd.  Can I say that?  I can't stand the Australian prime minister.  Whilst I'm more Liberal than Labor back home, it isn't even about politics, it is about him.  Move over KRudd.

On a pop/tabloid note, hmm, JEdward?  Ick and Eww.  Sorry, I liked Rachel and Lucie and they got kicked out of X Factor UK whilst you stayed around.  Move along now kids.


5. You have 20 minutes and $1000. What do you buy?

Sneakers, really good comfy asics Kayanos.  and return flights to NY, staying at the Gershwin.  Assuming you can't get vouchers that is.


6. Tell me three blogs that I need to read.

All Bower Power - Whilst I love what she does with her house, she cracks me up how she writes.  I really do just love.
The Bright Side Project - Well, I'm not entirely sure if it is a blog or not, but I do suggest you read it!
Today I Saw - as a bonus, very little reading is required and what does need to be read is handwritten.  A sweet little 15 seconds of my day that makes me smile. 


7. Would you rather go without pizza or ice cream for the rest of your life?

Ice cream. I can live without it.  Sure, the quality of my life would be less, but it would be a life.  I am simply not willing to imagine (let alone live) a life that doesn't have pizza.  I can always have gelato after my pizza rather than ice-cream, right?  Ok, yep, good, thanks.



8. Would you rather go to a beach or a snowy mountain?

Beach.  I'm Australian.  I love the beach.  I especially love Australian beaches, but all beaches really.  Some of my favourite times down at our beach house were in winter.  I love rugging up and walking along the beach/over the dunes an then coming inside to sit in front of the pot bellied stove.  The beach house is in a sleep little town about 3 hours from Melbourne that has a surf beach and sheltered inlet, perfect for fishing, water skiing and windsurfing.  Here is a pic of the inlet on a weekend in the middle of winter.  This makes me miss it so much!!  (It was taken from the boat but you can walk around the headland you see there)


(SOCC)

And here is a pic of an English beach, this one is down at the Needles on the Isle of Wight.  Not the same but I still love it





9. Are you a night owl or a morning person?

I'm a nightie but not a ravie.  Does that make sense?  I'm def. prefer the night but don't like to be out all night, just up and doing things.  That said, breakfast is my fav meal (but I often order it for lunch).



10. What word do you always misspell?

Definetly.  Should actually be Definitely.  Notice I often write def. rather spell it wrong?  My mind just hits a road block every time.

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to mail someone a card filled with glitter... but I'm scared that'll get really mad and not want to be my friend again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't even get away from K.Rudd on British TV lately!

    ReplyDelete