Wednesday, 20 January 2010

Ten on a Tuesday - 14 - books

Tuesday = Ten more things.  This week, they're all about books.  The questions come from Kim over at Books n Moore via Chelsea at Roots and Rings. Chelsea posts the questions from Monday so I answer ahead of time, saving posting until after she does so I can link to the question provider as well.  Today though, it looks weird because we have some very similar answers.  I think I'll find this accross quite a few of the respondents.

1. Favorite book(s) when you were a child and why?

Seven Little Australians - it just really struck a chord with me - I'm not really sure why.
The Baby Sitters Club books (the original ones, not the Little Sister Series or the Super Specials so much although they were ok too)  Who didn't want to be part of it? I wanted to be Kristy or Claudia the most.

2. First “grown-up” book you remember reading (i.e. written for adolescents or with adult themes, such as The Outsiders or Catcher in the Rye).
Maybe Go Ask Alice.  Not really a pleasant story and certainly adult/adolescent themes.  A really strong warning in this book.

3. Favorite movie that came from a book (even if you didn’t read the book and just love the movie).
Hardly profound but right now Bridget Jones' Diary is all I can think of. Good book, love the movie.

4. Movie that you loved so much that you WISHED there was a book out so that you could find out more about the movie.
Once. Beautiful story told beautifully, I would love to read a novel version of it (although I would miss the glorious soundtrack).

5. Worst book you’ve ever read?
I have probably blocked the worst one from memory but I really didn't like or didn't get The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon.

6. Book that everyone raves about that you either a) haven’t read and feel slightly dumb for not having read it or b) have tried to read and hated and so feel slightly dumb that everyone is getting something you don’t.
Up until last week, it would have been Twilight but I finished the first one on Monday. Probably The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. I just can't do it. I've tried, and failed. And tried. And failed.

7. If you were forced to choose only 3 books that you could read for the rest of your life, which ones would they be? (Or if you were stranded on a desert island, which 3 books would you want there with you?).
Seven Types of Ambiguity - previously mentioned in an earlier set.
The Complete Jane Austen. I haven't yet read any of her work but want to so what better opportunity that on a deserted island?
Gray's Anatomy  - I'd like to learn more about the human body

8. Name one book that if you could recommend that everyone you know read, what is it?
Maybe something daft like 84 Charing Cross Road?  It's just such a gentle pleasant story about some lovely people, being lovely.  Sometimes, simplicity wins.  (Ok, boys especially might not like this book)

9. What is your “guilty pleasure” reading?
Nora Roberts novels. I picked one up in a drug store for cheap in Canada a few years ago when I was travelling with the parents and it kind of got me hooked. They're a really easy entertainingly mindless read which is what I love when travelling.   Or more generally, chic lit (Marian Keyes, Mauve Binchey, Rosamund Pilcher etc)

10. What book (excepting the Bible or other major document of your religion/faith) has changed your outlook on life the most?
I wish I knew.  I've read a lot of books but I can't think of a "single" one that has had the most impact on me.  Sorry, I'm copping out here.

Feel free to play along at your webhome too.  The question that I found hardest to answer but I'm most interested in people's answer for is Question 4 - what movie do you wish had a book?

1 comment:

  1. I love Jane Austen, she is my favorite author so I would definitely read her books forever. Great answers!

    ReplyDelete