Tuesday, 5 January 2010

Ten on a Tuesday – back for 2010

Chelsea is at it again and back with more 10 on a Tuesday (number 12) in 2010.  Someone has baking on the mind and I’m only to happy to oblige!



From Simon's Sista Saw

1. Are there any movies that inspire you to bake/cook?
Julie and Julia is the obvious one but otherwise, August Rush.  I’ve only seen it the once but I did bake afterwards and now think of it every time I bake a pie (or more often crumbles)


2. What’s your favourite food blog and why?
I don’t really follow any food blogs (PW aside).  Probably because I’d end up the size of a house if I did.  Suggest away if you like.  I’ll check out everyone’s answers and get some added.

Edit - I was just going through my reader and hello - honey & jam is a food blog and it is delightful! I'm sure Hannah must be adorable in real life because her recipes, photography and writing all are!  go check her out...


3. Who’s your favourite celebrity chef? 
Delia Smith.  She’s a classic.  Her Christmas special was out of this world – full of old charm and a British accent.

4. What’s your favourite kitchen tool? 
My apple corer/slicer.  Saves so much time – and allows for many more crumbles (or even just stewed apples) than if more manual labour was involved. 
http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/products/kitchen-craft-stainless-steel-apple-corer-and-wedger

5. When it comes to cooking/baking, what’s your specialty? 
Versions of choc chip cookies and brownies are about equal I think.  They’re certainly what I make the most.  Or sticky date pudding – I don’t make it often but I make a mean one.  I’m always on pudding duty with the family.  Dad’s been known to leave a packet of dates on the counter if he knows I’m heading to the farm.  He’s subtle like that!

6. When in the kitchen, do you wear an apron, if so, any cute ones you’d like to share? 
I have a pink one with a red head on it, saying kitchen diva. It was a housewarming gift and I’ve been known to wear it quite a bit.  I noticed some gorgeous ones in Anthropologie the other day, especially the Three Star one.  Oh, and check out the ones from Boojiboo that Chelsea is giving away (I’m a fan of the Maggie in b&w damask with red).

7. Is there anything that intimidates you when it comes to baking/cooking? (ex. Pie crust, yeast breads, sauces, etc…)
Pastry.  I really just can’t get it.  I can’t make it and I can barely cook bought stuff.  I was able to get dough blobs from a bakery near my own home to roll out and make things look home made.  I just never really nailed it.

8. What’s the weirdest gadget in your kitchen? 
We don’t have all that much room so nothing too weird that I can think of.  It’s not weird but I don’t get the point of honey dippers.  Do you have them/use them/like them?  How do you clean them?
honey dipper Pictures, Images and Photos
(source - http://kensbees.blogspot.com/


9. What’s your go-to music for cooking/baking?
Cake would be an obvious answer.  A wrong answer though.  There isn’t anything in particular but more often that not it would be radio or a chillout sessions CD or Dolly/Dusty mix.

10. After several failures, what do you do to motivate yourself to get back in the kitchen to try again?
I don’t.  So many many more recipes to try.  I might try and find a different recipe for the same dish I guess.  Yeah, I’d use the same same but different approach.

That's ten things about me - what about you??

2 comments:

  1. I checked out that honey & jam site- love it! Thanks for sharing.

    I'm with you on the honey dippers- I don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh- the honey dipper!! Now that you mention it, it's right up there with my electric can opener! Those dippers make a mess! Thanks for reminding me of that ridiculous thing...

    ReplyDelete