Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Ten on a Tuesday

Ten on a Tuesday this week.  On an actual bona-fide TUESDAY!  A great set of questions this week, I've really enjoyed answering them. Some were tough though. I'd love to hear my friends thoughts on Number 3. Answered constructively of course. A lot of these questions reinforced what I already knew; I'm incredibly lucky and live a good life.

Thanks Erin for the questions, via Chelsea of course


1. When you were a senior in high school, what career did you think you’d choose? Did you? Why or why not?
I thought I would do something commerce related because those were the subjects I enjoyed the most and found the easiest/most interesting. I believe doing a uni Accounting subject in final year helped me get my job that lead me down the accounting path.


2. What one thing about the “real world” did you find most surprising once you were on your own?
I can't really remember. I had a gradual introduction to it I think. Probably the cost of running a car/buying boring groceries etc but I'm not sure. Maybe the importance of home being a refuge? (I had bad experiences with a housemate and was most unsettled for most of my first year out of home).


3. Name 3 things you think your closest friends DON’T like about you.
  1. My indecisiveness. If I make a decision, I'm pretty stubborn with it. But when I can't make a decision, I go round and round (and round) in circles.
  2. My location (those that are in Australia are forever asking when I'm coming home and just seemingly don't get I'm here for a while yet).
  3. My conservative/prudish streak. It isn't always obvious and I'm certainly not a prude but sometimes I let fears of what others might think/say get in the way when I really just need to let it go.

 4. In order to sleep, do you need background noise or absolute quiet?
Not overly fussed, I sleep pretty easy. I think it would depend on where I am though. When I used to live on a main road, I expected to hear the trams and cars etc so if I didn't, I might have thought something is up. When I would stay at the farm, I didn't expect to hear cars etc (my parents place is at the end of a dead end street, quite some distance from other places).


5. Why do you choose to reside in your current city? Yes, you have a choice
Because of the travel opportunities it affords me. I've a good job here that allows for travel which is handy with Europe on my doorstep. Even if Europe wasn't on its door step, London is a damn amazing city that offers so much, if you want to make the most of it. As for London over other English cities (Manchester had been in my thoughts a long time before I settled on moving to London ), it's because I had friends here which make the ride that much more enjoyable.


6. Are you close to your parents?
Yes. Very much so. I'm damn lucky to have such a good relationship with my step-mum. Not all my friends are so lucky. And Dad, well I'm a real Daddy's girl. And I think, because Dad was a single parent (from when I was aged 9 - 16 although he had loads of help from extended family and friends), we're pretty tight too. I think I sometimes tell him too much, more than he would like to know. Sorry Dad! 


7. What is your favourite fiction book? Poem? Blog?
Book is - so too hard to choose. See here post for my thoughts on various books.
Poem is a Robert Smith one
Blog - untold favourites. I love reading the Bloggess though. She never fails to crack me up.


8. Do you enjoy cooking or is it a chore?
I love baking. I'm on the fence with cooking. Sometimes I love it, but I get lazy when I'm just cooking for me. I get nervous when cooking for an audience. If people are coming over for tea (which I love when it happens), I worry that they won't like it etc and I always feel obliged to cook meat which means I can't taste/sample it. I think I should just suck it up and get on with it. I need some guinea pigs to come eat at mine, often, so I get over it. Or I need to live near Simon as I he will eat anything I cook and appreciate it. Good for the confidence is he.


9. Be honest. What one thing would (the majority of) your blog readers be shocked to find out about you?
I'm not sure. There isn't much I hide I don't think, and I'll answer any questions that come my way. I've shared with you my joy at silly things, my vainness about being a red head, my insecurities about my weight, my grief at a family passing, my fondness for baking. Maybe that whilst I cherish my life and independence in London and the ability to travel, I'd give it all up to be in love? (that secretly (or not so much), I think I'd quite like to be a stepford wife for a bit. (I'm glad my Nan was cremated because otherwise, she would absolutely be turning in her grave right now).


10. If you were given your own national holiday, what would you require people to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner on the Day of You? Would there be a parade? Greeting cards?
Nutella crepes for breakfast, lunch and tea? Oh wait, that is Shrove Tuesday. Maybe it would all be about afternoon tea? A full spread, high tea style. Good coffee, champagne, great company etc. An excuse to all get together for a treat. No parade needed. No greeting cards, but paper invites for the afternoon tea sent snail mail maybe? Old school style my friends.


DSC00621

3 comments:

  1. I'd eat Nutella crepes all day long on your national holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great answers! i LOVE Nutella! love that you're so close with your parents. I'm a Daddy's girl, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great questions this week. I don't know who this Erin is but good job by her.

    ReplyDelete