Wednesday, 7 April 2010

Ten on a Tuesday - 25

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend.  I’m back from a glorious break in the Scottish Highlands and on the Isle of Skye.  I loved that place like I haven’t loved a place for a while.  There were no blizzards but we got a teensy amount of snow (from about the only cloud in an otherwise blue sky) and we climbed mountains high enough to go above the snow line. Oh, and my boots were a success.  The local fisherman all loved them ;-)  (A token pic from the trip at the bottom, more to come in another post)

It’s Tuesday though so enough of that and more of this.  This being Ten on a Tuesday of course.  Here is a really good  random, easy and entertaining batch of questions, this time from Courtney via Chelsea


1. If you could travel back in time, would you? What decade would you visit?
Probably federation time in Australia - around the 1900 mark.  I think it would be interesting to see how buzzed the peoples were about us becoming a nation as well as how different things were only a short time ago.  Then I'd zip right back to here and now because it's where we're meant to be at.

2. What was your best Halloween costume? (fun to make? most creative?)
I've never really dressed up for Halloween.  But my best costume of other occasions? Probably as a cello.  It was something for school, in Grade 2.  It was awesome - he made it all out of cardboard and I rocked it.  Classically of course.  I mean, it was a cello.

3. Do you like your name? If you weren’t called by your name, what would you want to be called?
Not especially.  I have no attachment to it.  It seems old fashioned.  That said, my parents chose it so I'm happy to live by it.  All (well, most) of my nicknames stem from it. As for what else I might like to be called – I haven’t given it much thought.  I am glad that I’m not named after my grandma and Nan though (Gertrude and Muriel).

4. In the past year, what is the BEST recipe you made. Please share it!
The BBC’s chocolate brownies.  I love it as a base recipe.  I’ve never actually made it with the nuts but the various variations I’ve made included adding raspberries, white chocolate or rolos.  It’s a do anything go anywhere recipe and people devour these when I make them. 

5. Look around – what is the nearest object or picture hanging on the wall?
A series of black and white photos of Melbourne, a black and white photo of me in NY and a map of the world (notice a theme?)

6. What was the last movie you saw in a theatre? Would you recommend it?
A Single Man.  No.  No, absolutely not.  Not even to rent on DVD.  Someone was snoring during it.  I was kind of jealous of them.  It wasn't slow - that implies it took a long time to get somewhere.  It was stagnant.  (Just my thoughts - I've read quite positive reviews of it).

7. Did you go to summer camp? Will you/do you send your kids to camp?
No.  I did some youth group things, and I always had brownie and guide camps.  The summer camp thing isn't big in Australia.  I camped over the summers, but with my family and friends.

8. What kind of ringtone do you have?
A ring ring style.  Blends in, doesn't make a statement.

9. Where is the farthest away from home you have ever been?
Relative to where I grew up (Melbourne), probably Iceland.  It's the furthest away.  But I was living in London when I went there so it was only a 3 hour flight.  Any time I'm in Australia/UK and living in the other place I guess.

10. Has anyone ever written a song or a poem for or about you?
Song, no. Poem - yes. 

DSC08141
Hamish, the highland cow (or, as the Scottish say, a hairy coo)

3 comments:

  1. Well isn't Hamish just darling? haha!
    I like the new layout too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe I like your cello costume, sounds cute.
    Hamish is very cute too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah good old Hamish the friendly, hairy coo. Great photo of him!

    ReplyDelete