Tuesday, 13 April 2010

Ten on a Tuesday – 26 - It's My Time

We interrupt this break to bring you 10 on a Tuesday with my set of questions.  (no go and re read that with your best broadcasters voice…please?)

These questions come from moi, via Chelsea.  A special shout out to D and V, some friends who helped me – we were chatting about them over dinner one night and they're some of my partners in crime when it comes to travel.  Whilst there is a definite theme, I’ve tried to make them answerable to all.  If you don’t play along on your own blog, please do play along in the comments (that includes you V!)

1.  What book, movie or song has made you want to travel to a particular place? (eg. I went to Prince Edward Island because I was such a Anne of Green Gables fan)
Aside from PEI (that was my example), reading The Bronze Horsemen was a real driving force in me wanting to go to St Petersburg (booked for October).

2. Aside from your significant other, who would you want to take with you on a dream trip?
Tough one.  One of my friends maybe, that hasn’t travelled much, or one that I know I travel well with would be good choices.  Although, I think I’d chose my brothers.

3. Where would said dream trip be to?
I’d love to climb Mt Kilimanjaro in Africa and I think either brother would make a good supportive company.

4. If you were hosting guests or providing tips, what three things would you show visitors to your hometown? (be it where you live now or where you grew up)
Melbourne – coffee at Journal (in Flinders Lane – great coffee, great location), footy (Aussie rules) at the MCG, and probably drinks/gig/taking in the surrounds at the Espy – a classic pub in St Kilda near the beach.
London – coffee at Monmouth (Borough Markets), head to the V&A museum and then Brick Lane (a laneway full on Indian restaurants) for dinner.  Anyone want to come hangout with me for a day?

5. If you had a long weekend ahead of you, where you head – beach, city or country/mountains?
I’m a country/mountains girl at the moment with beach a close second and city a distant third.  I feel a bit city-breaked out – although I love each trip when I do it.

6. Do you have a passport? If so, did you get it for a particular trip or just to have, in case?
Yup, sure do. I got it for when I moved over here in 2001.  It’s up for renewal soon.  Hello paperwork.

7. Are there any travel souvenirs you collect? If not, is there something else you collect?
Bouncy balls.  They’re a great souvenir – small, unbreakable, cheap and cute – but they’re surprisingly hard to find.

8. If you could name a paint colour, what colour would it be and what would you call it?
A purpleish grey – often seen in the sky – as dusk hits.  A name for it escapes me now.  Sorry (I know - I've had a while to think about it, but I'm drawing blanks)
9. If you were heading away for a weekend citybreak solo, where would you go? (forget about practicality here and flight times, assume you can get to any city in the world for the weekend)
Right now I’d say Melbourne.  I’ve been looking flights for this weekend but I’m not strong enough to deal with the distances and practicalities of it. 

Previously, I would have probably said New York.  Is anyone surprised?  Oh, what, your not?  How funny.  It’s a cool place to wander on your own – so much to do and see.

10. Is there a song or a smell or something that you strongly associate with a particular holiday/place/time, such that it always takes you back?
Loads.  Loads and loads and loads of songs. Most trips have a song associated with them.  Blistex and the smell of sunscreen are the big ones I think – they both remind of summers spent at the beach.  Song wise, Spirit of the West’s home for a rest reminds me of my first European foray.  Radiohead’s Fake Plastic Trees reminds me of the train journey from NY to Toronto.

20090831-443Malta
{views over Malta, Aug 09}

3 comments:

  1. I loved your questions! :)
    I've never known anyone who collects bouncy balls. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am going to have to answer your questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My housemate Michelle climbed Mount Kilimanjaro recently. She trained for it by climbing The Monument (and by doing some hikes).

    ReplyDelete