Wednesday, 16 June 2010

Postcards from Wales

I’m back!!! Yay! I have an almost fully functioning right thumb. It’s kind of handy really.  Such a small percentage of your body – such a useful part.  Back story to it is that I hurt it playing a tag game at boot camp.  Got it x-rayed, poked and prodded and it was just some bruising and stretching of the tendons.  Doc said the pain would subside after about 48 hours, taking about 2 weeks for it to heal properly.  Everything seems to be going well.  It doesn’t hurt unless I do something weird with it, but I can feel it as I move it – an awareness that previously wasn’t there.  All in all, it’s fine.

Remember the postcard swap I spoke of a few weeks back?  Well I did it and I feel so supremely sorry for my recipient.  I’m a terrible drawer, let alone when I have to hold the pen between my pointer and birdie and not use my thumb!!  Here’s the view I drew:
IMG_0736
It is in the Brecon Beacons National Park in Wales.  Where places have the coolest names.  This was taken about half way up Craig y Cilau (which is part of the Mynydd Llangatwg escarpment) overlooking  the villages Llangattock and Llangatwg and the greater Usk Valley.  A seriously beautiful part of the world*.
Many many many other beautiful parts of the world were capture by many many more talented artists.  If you have a spare minute, go check out the flickr pool.  Looking at them can serve of a reminder to enjoy life, and notice the small things…

* a very beautiful part of the world only about 3.5 hours from London that I’m keen to return to when I get some spare time.  Great for outdoor activities (including lazing around I imagine!!), I spent a really restful weekend there doing the following two walks
  • the Craig y Cilau and Llangattock walk (pictured above).  A mid level 5.5mile walk with some decent incline
  • A a walk around Mynydd Llangorse, also 5.5miles again with some incline.
IMG_0715 {the views shortly after driving into the Brecon Beacons, where sheep roam freely.  Thankfully it was a clearer day on the Sunday}

No comments:

Post a Comment