Thursday, 17 June 2010

Susie Homemaker – the things I did and didn’t do

So I told you all that I would be making French tart pastry this month as part of the Craving Fab Pastries challenge.  Yup, a huh, yeah, no.  Not going to happen.
A combination of poor time management skills (i.e.…not actually ever home except between 10pm and 7.30am) and clumsiness (i.e.. thumb malfunction) and holidays (i.e.. I simply MUST go and sail the Greek Islands with a bunch of mates for 9 days between now and the end of the month), it just won’t be happening.  Which makes me sad.  I think I’ll be a late entry though and I hope to try it in July, along with whatever challenge comes next.

Another thing I didn't do was get inspired to bake a recipe posted earlier in the week.  I love seeing and reading recipes but not all of them are quite to my tastes.  Sugar free banana and sultana cake.  Could there be a cake less suited to me??  I think not.

{we heart it}

In order to make up for not have badly lit pictures of my pastry fail, I thought I’d include a sweet pic from We Heart It.  I’ve been giving this site a lot of love lately.

And a recipe for the yummiest butter frosting I’ve made and can remember having.  Hopefully you like it too… (icing/frosting is very much a case of each to their own I think).  This recipe can easily be adapted to include lemon zest, vanilla essence, flavourings, etc etc.. Go to town my friends – I’d love to hear what you get up to if you use it.

Ingredients

  • 250grams of icing sugar

  • 80grams of unsalted butter (room temp)

  • 25ml milk (I used semi but the original recipe I adapted used whole)
Method
Beat the sugar and butter together using an electric mixer on slow until combined. Slowly add the milk, continuing to mix.  Once combined, turn that baby up to high and beat for 5 minutes.  Result?  Light and fluffy and yummy.  I use the juice of 3 lemons in mine as well and it was delish.

1 comment:

  1. I'd still love to see what you come up with for your tart, even if you have to do it late! There will definitely be more challenges that I hope you'll be a part of :)

    ReplyDelete