Friday, 16 July 2010

My Goals - Progress report...

IMG_0926

The year is well more than half over so I figured now was as good a time as any to recap on my goals. Back on the 1st, I posted a lot of them that covered Health and Fitness, Travel, Blogging and Random Personal Indulgences. As I said back in January when I posted them, they are all goals, not deadlines so whilst I want to meet them, I'm not going to berate myself if I don't.

Stopping to see how I'm going has been an interesting experience. Personally, I've had a really good first six months of the year in terms of what I've done and seen (some things I never thought I would be able to) but it's also been a harrowing and emotional and stressful time for the extended family and at times a lonely experience over here. A strange six months really, but not one I'd trade for anything.

The most important goal for me this year was to improve my health and fitness. After being a fit and sporty kid, I became a fat and lazy adult. Not great. I wasn't happy and was incredibly self concious, so this was of paramount importance to me - for vanity, but more for how I felt about myself and my appraoch to life.

I'm proud of how I've done in this category. The below (specific goals) doesn’t really show my success I don't think. Things like walking 25 miles over 3 mountains with friends does, and finally ditching the boardshorts on a beach holiday does (and posting a pic of me in my bathers on the interwebs does), and wearing more skirts and dresses does, and losing weight and dress sizes does. But really, just knowing I'm healthier and fitter and feeling better about myself does. So, despite the 2 sucesses, 3 fails I've listed below, this is certainly a success story, so far…
  
The specific goals I listed were:

  • Dry January. - FAIL!! I did so well, until Australia Day (26 January) when we all went out to celebrate our national day. How could I not? A few others going dry in January also were on it that night. Regardless of this "fail", it wasn’t bad. Something like less than 5 drinks for a month is a real improvement on my December and even just being more aware and concsious of what I drink is a good thing.
  • Eat in more than I eat out. SUCCESS. This one is hard to quantify. When I wrote this goal, I didn't realise what the food situation would be at my "new" job (that I started 4th Jan). Turns out we have a restaurant with healthy meals available at good prices (like cheaper, or as cheap as if I was to buy the ingredients). So mostly now, I have my hot meal for lunch and a smaller dinner. This works well for me as I often have stuff on after work and don't get home until late. Cooking a healthy meal then wasn't always the top of my list. I am certainly eating a lot lot better than I did last year so I would say this is a success.
  • Try a new savoury (healthy) recipe each month. FAIL. This remains a goal for the second half of the year. I've tried lots of new dishes but none from recipes. Often I will see things on a menu and then try and recreate at home based on how I think it should work. I'm not sure why I don't use recipes, but I just tend not to.
  • Work through the 200 squats challenge. FAIL - Haven't done a single thing about it. Maybe I will in the second half of the year but maybe I won't. I'm doing other things so I'm not too worried.
  • Complete the London Moonwalk. SUCCESS - read all about it here...
I'm long way from where I want to be but I'm certainly heading in the right direction and have a lot of supportive people around me.

How are you going with your goals? Did you set any and do you revisit them?

2 comments:

  1. I've done okay with some of my goals but some of them have been a big fail as well, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made goals at the beginning of the year... but can't remember what they were. I guess I should go check them and see how I'm doing (probably not very well!).

    I've been reading up on your blog - your photos of Greece are stunning - I would love to go there someday! Your other pictures remind me of the times that I spent in England - I studied at Lancaster Uni & have been to the lake district, and I've been to London a few other times as well.

    Good luck with the 365 project - I totally admire you for committing to it. I knew I'd never be able to do that, so I try to take just a few pictures each week and post them on Fridays. I'm much less ambitious! :)

    ReplyDelete