Wednesday, 8 December 2010

10.3

3 – Moment.



Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors).



(Author: Ali Edwards)





Atop Mount Snowdown*, Snowdonia National Park, Wales

A mentally gruelling 10 days lead up
A physically gruelling climb (we went up Pyg Pass which is constant ascent, and down Miners which is rapid descent)
I was unfit.  I was lacking a bit of  confidence but knew that I was going to reach the top.  It was non-negotiable.  Others had suggested we turn around part way so we'd make our dinner reservations (most of the group had gone up in the morning as well).
I remember laughing after finally solving a 45 minute game of eye spy with DB.  We both knew it would pass the time.  I don't think either of us knew just how much time (but he'd got someone's nickname wrong which was a little...problematic...)
A few false summits
Then the top.
Relief.
Silent, so eerily silent.  Others speaking but I wasn't really listening.
Blue - the sky, the lakes we could see all around, even our clothes
Still.  It had been windy a fair way of the final ascent but it everything was still, for me, at the top.
Relief.  and Sadness.  For that was the same day as my beautiful cousin's funeral.  In Australia.
Love.

DSC08241


*It's only 1,085m/3,560 ft high so not that much on a world scale.  Round walk time was just over 3 hours. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds amazing and the view is beautiful. Makes me want to get off my lazy butt and hike. :)

    ReplyDelete