Saturday, 25 December 2010

A virtual Christmas gift

One thing about living so far from my loved ones is that gift giving can get exceptionally expensive.  Thanks Royal Mail/Australia post.

Since I’ve been here, I really only send gifts to my niece and nephew.  My parents and brothers get token gifts, at best. 

Last year, after seeing so many things that I (a) couldn’t afford and (b) couldn’t post, I decided to send my step mum a different dream gift every day of advent.  Kind of like an advent calendar, I sent her a link to something I would have loved to been able to buy her for 24 days.  It was so much fun to collate and she loved receiving it.  I’ve just re read over the emails today, and here are some of the things I “sent” her.



Marble Button Zip Top | Mimco, 450 AUD
Coiled Garden Quilt - Anthropologie.com, 321 GBP
Simplicity Cake Plate with Dome : Target, 28 GBP
Three of Fortnum's most popular tea blends, each presented in a..., 25 GBP
Untitled Page, 104 AUD
VEUVE CLICQUOT with free Ice Jacket!
Hunter Original Wellington Boots Merlot - Garden XL
Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen - Penguin Books
Wuthering Heights - Emily Brontë - Penguin Books
The Teddington Cheese Camembert Cheese Plates
Lindor Star Christmas ornament tin
Artificial Rose and Cherry Wreath - 33cm Diameter
LCS-THM (LCSTHM) : Accessories and headphones : Sony
DSC-W270 (DSCW270) : Overview : Digital cameras, photo frames and...
Sweet Stems - Chocmas tree
Leatherman® Juice Xe6 Thunder Purple Multi Tool @ Leatherman® Store
Weatherworn Ferris Wheel - Anthropologie.com
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - Penguin Books
A4 Sketchbook - Moleskine Notebooks from simplymoleskine.com


Sometimes, it really is the thought that counts.  Have you ever been a bit creative with gift giving?

(not everything was polyvore-able.  Other gifts included the Royal Doulton Christmas pretty lady, a week's holiday at a Peppers retreat, customised study furniture amongst other things).  This year, I just sent them a virtual Christmas hamper made up with lots of lovelies from the web

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like such a fun idea! I can't think of a time where I've had to be creative like you did, but I'll keep this in mind.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete