Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Appetite for Reduction–the cookbook

I’ve just recently (as in Friday) got this cookbook:



Appetite for Reduction (by Isa Chndra Moskowitz).  I ordered it online after Anna (Door Sixteen) tweeted about it. She then followed it up with a blog post moments after I had received mine in the mail.  Styled like the Guns and Roses Appetite for Destruction cover and being vegan*, it was always going to be something I liked.

So far, I’ve only made one dish (Pasta Con Broccoli) but I think we’re going to get along just fine, this book and I.  It’s a friendly cook book as well.  By this I mean:


  • There are plenty of tips and descriptions of various ingredients you may not have come across before, as well as suggested alternatives
  • There are plenty of categories of food – at the end of most recipes, Isa suggests other sides/meals which would compliment whatever recipe you have just made.
  • It’s a really well organised book.  As well as the great table of contents page and the traditional index, there is also an index of recipes by icon (ie. gluten free, soy free, recipes with downtime & recipes under 30 minutes)
  • It’s full of healthy and nutritious recipes (true story, the only other cookbooks I have with me in the UK are for cookies, cakes and desserts).
  • I’m really looking forward to working through this book.  There is so much in there I want to try and I’m keen to up my vegie intake.  I’m now off to do an online shop to update my spice cabinet**.

Any cookbooks you are lusting over?

* I’m not a vegan, nor do I intend on becoming one.  I just knew I wanted to eat healthier this year and have been sadly lacking inspiration when it comes to cooking dinners for some time now.  I think this book will inspire me and get me eating healthier.  There are many sides there that I will pair with other non-vegan meals.

** The recipes on first glance don’t take a lot of ingredients so the normal person wouldn’t need to run out and buy loads.  It’s just that my herb and spice cabined currently consists of salt and pepper.  There are a feww more things than this needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment