Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Ten on a Tuesday - 61

The first Tuesday of the new year, my first Ten on a Tuesday for a bit.  Questions, as always, have come via Chelsea over at Roots and Rings.  Thanks Erin (Erin B. Inspired) for them

I think this post would be awesome with some photos but that just won’t be happening today.

1. What type of home do you currently reside in? (house, apartment, etc.)
A refurbed Victorian flat. It’s a sharehouse (shareflat?) that I share with two others.


2. If you could completely redecorate one room in your home, what room would you pick, why, and what would you do to it?
The bathroom.  Our landlord has a few flats in this block (there is 6 per building) and one by one he’s done them up.  In doing so, he’s rejigged the bathroom taking out the vanity and the bath, leaving us with a pedestal basin and just a shower.  So I want the bath back and would prefer a vanity for the storage (we previously all had our own draw and it just makes things look cleaner etc.).


3. What is your favourite place to gain inspiration for your home decor style?
I guess blogs? I follow a few design blogs but less and less as time goes by.  Because I’m renting 1 room in a fully furnished flat, there isn’t a lot I need to do.  That, and I’m not keen on big purchases that I can’t easily ship home because one day, I’ll be back in Australia.


4. What is your favourite piece of decor in your home?
My picture wall I think.  It’s black and white travel photography, mostly mine, and it’s coming along nicely.


5. What do you want visitors to feel when they visit your home? Do you think your home gives off that feeling?
Relaxed, welcome, comfortable.  I’d like to think it does.  Most of my visitors are repeat visitors so I guess that helps?


6. Describe your home in one word and explain why you chose that word.
Relaxing.  I’m a homebody and I love my room.  And I have pretty decent housemates.  I often choose staying in just because I like being here.


7. What are some predominant colours or patterns in your home?
Greige.  The walls are all a beigey grey colour (actually called Portland Stone, pictured below), white trim (including the 2 feet above the picture rail) and the furniture is all oak (as are the floors).  I like the wall colour – it’s a great neutral but the wood is a bit much I think, especially in the kitchen/lounge. It's not as yellowy on the walls as the below swatch might suggest.



8. What is your favourite room in your home and why?
My bedroom.  It’s large.  It’s mine.  Shared decision making in the rest of the house but my room really is my sanctuary. I’ll often sprawl on my bed and read or watch dvds.  I tend to hang in here a fair bit when I’m home.  The door is usually open so my housemates come and go, chatting as they please – they know I’m in love with my room and not being anti social.


9. Do you take a hands-on or DIY approach to projects around your home or do you enlist or hire help?
Not really relevant as I’ve never done much but I guess I enlist help?  Our landlord is very hands on – if a light bulb blows, he sends someone around to replace it (which I know sounds bad but we have super super high ceilings and nothing to reach them on!)


10. Where is your favourite place to shop for home furnishings?
I don’t think I’ve really got a favourite?  Pictures frames are mostly from Ikea and Wilkinsons.  I think if I was in the UK long long term, I’d do some damage at Habitat?

1 comment:

  1. Great answers! I love that color!

    The nail polish I put up is very sheer. The great thing about Zoya is when you click on the color, it tells you on a scale of 1 to 5 how opaque the polish is so you know what you are getting.

    ReplyDelete