Friday, 21 January 2011

Wildlife Photographer of the Year - 2010

Last Sunday afternoon was spent at London’s Natural History Museum to see the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition.  The museum is housed in one of my favourite buildings but I really only visit it annually for this exhibition.

IMG_3530
The main hall inside the museum.  All the exhibitions are off to the sides. 
 The outside is amazing too, I just didn't get any snaps for some reason.

The exhibition is one I look forward to every year (and yeah, I go with the same person each time where we spend the time comparing this years entrants to prior years).  There are awards for the following categories:
  • Behaviour: Birds
  • Behaviour: Mammals
  • Behaviour: All Other Animals
  • The Underwater World
  • Animal Portraits
  • In Praise of Plants and Fungi
  • Urban Wildlife
  • Wild Places
  • Animals in their Environment
  • Nature in Black and White
  • Creative Visions of Nature
  • Endangered Wildlife
  • One Earth
  • 10 years and under
  • 11-14 years
  • 15-17 years
So whilst all the photos are amazing in some way (stunning, technical, narrative etc), there are always favourites.  It’s hard to pick just one (there were too many to choose from) but here’s the one I took home with me (in 33p postcard form, as pictured below – click through the caption to see the original image).
IMG_3535

My least favourite photos tend to be ones showing animals eating each other (yes, I realise this is how the food chain works but I don’t feel the need to see it) and ones showing the effect of humans on many habitats (again, yes, I realise this is a problem, but the pics make me sad and I don’t want to be sad on a Sunday).

If you are in London, I’d suggest you get along - it's on until March 11.

1 comment: