Monday, 28 March 2011

A weekend walking

The fire pics from Valencia shall have to wait whilst I share with you the weekend just gone.

A few weeks ago (three, to be precise) I decided I wanted to head back to Snowdonia to climb the mountain again.  It came up over a Sunday lunch with my housemate (Kate) and a colleague/friend (Dave).  Then it came up again over a Monday lunch with Dave and another colleague/friend, Jen.  Dave, Jen and I had been to Snowdon (along with others) on a couple of occaisions last year and loved it.

So on Friday evening (5.30 by the time we all left our respective desks, gathered in the Wharf and met those we hadn't met before), we headed for Betws-y-Coed in north Wales.

DSC08206

Saturday saw us heading up Snowdon.  There are loads of paths to take, with the Pyg Path and Miners Path being the most popular, Crib Goch being the most challenging, Llanberis the most boring and pretty much everything in between. 

Whilst we woke to cold and clouds (and snow flurries had been the early forecast, we were met with perfect walking weather - clear but not too warm nor to windy). We went up the Rhyd Ddu path to the South West and I can't reccomend it highly enough.  It takes a couple of hours but the snaky path and ridge walks mean you are constantly seeing new scenes and it really is stunning.  There was a mixutre of gentle and steep slopes and a variety of terrain (some scree but not too much).  I did not take nearly enough pics to really show it, but here's a few...

IMG_4182
early days, very early days
IMG_4184
looking back from about 1/4 of the way up, we started by the lake

IMG_4191
Nearer the top (this is the only pic with views, sorry about Dave being in it. This was about 2/3 up)

IMG_4194
At the top!  Yep, Dave was the only guy.
L-R, it's Dave (colleague), me, Priscilla (front, ex-colleague of Dave and Jen, left before I started here), Jen (at back, in red, colleague), My Le (colleague and who I sit next to at work, poor her), Kushma (My Le's college mate), Kate (my housemate).  This is a terrible photo of me but the only one of the whole group.

IMG_4198
Some of Snowdon as we walked back to the car.  We went more or less went up the right ridge and came down the left for a great big circle (14.6 kms)

Coming down, we went off in different directions - Jen and I back down the Snowdon Ranger path (so boring but I guess it was good to try a different one) which left us about a mile from the cars which we then collected.  Dave and P tackeld the Lliwedd path and first timers Kate, My Le and Kushma came down the stunning & enjoyable Miners  (it's a seriously steep descent but then an easy mostly flat walk on a path around a lake).

We rewarded ourselves with hot showers and a load of excellent welsh food afterwards. 

How were your weekends?  Able to get out and enjoy the weather? (was it even nice where you were?)

No comments:

Post a Comment