Friday, 17 June 2011

Paris Planning

This weekend I'm heading to Paris.  It's not a secret, but it's not really well known, or a popular thought either - I don't like Paris.


Paris
(Photo via Nep)


I went there a couple of times in 2002, the first time being my first experience as an independent in a non English speaking country. Maybe we were staying in a dodgy area but I found the men too full on (groping on the metro, the street, the constant chat etc) and I just never felt at ease. I wasn't travelling alone either - with a friend - but we were both wary. It was hard to reconcile the beauty of the Metro signs with the horrible reality of the Metro on that trip.  We returned a month later and whilst we liked it a bit more, my overriding memory of Paris is of feeling very ill at ease and uncomfortable.

Fast forward 9+ years, and I'm finally returning tomorrow. And I'm really looking forward to it. I'm looking forward to falling in love with the place, like so many have done before me. I can't erase earlier memories but I want to override them completely.

I'm meeting some school friends there (they are on holidays and enjoying more flexibility so have headed there this morning whilst I get to work today) tomorrow morning, after an early bird Eurostar journey.

We're a mix of people - two have us have been before (multiple times) and two are freshies. And we've all got different things we want to see and do.
  • A picnic (cheese, champagne and baguettes) up near Sacre Coeur and the Catacombs top my list.
  • The Eiffel Tower and maybe the Louvre top someone else's (both great, but not really at the top of my list as I'm a little bit been there/done that)
  • Père Lachaise Cemetery tops someone else's (specifically, Jim Morrison's grave)
  • A day trip to Versaille has been mentioned as well
We all share the craving for cheese, baguettes, cheese, champagne, cheese and macaroons though so at least we have that in common.

If you were heading to Paris, what would you want to see or do?

2 comments:

  1. You know that I'm so jealous of this trip! Hopefully this time around you can come away with only good memories. Do you read the blog Oh Happy Day? Jordan Ferney living in Paris currently and has a few blog posts on neat things that her family has done there. May be worth a quick skim through for ideas.

    I know you left a comment on my blog ages ago asking me if I'd like a post card (I have no idea why I never responded to that!). If it's not too late, I would absolutely love one. Just send me a quick email if you need my address.
    If it's too much of a hassle, then don't worry. Just go and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for the heads up - I've not read her blog before. Have you seen she's giving away a trip to Paris? I'm hoping you have entered

    ReplyDelete