Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Ten on Tuesday - 92

London is burning. I can't begin to understand what is going on (or more so, why) in this great city I have chosen to call home. It is a great city and it's desperately sad to see it go this way. Whilst the nearest rioting has been about 1.5miles from my home, I've not been directly impacted.

Here's what I saw in London last night. Nothing riot related, just a beautiful rainbow over the Tower of London. The sky had a eerie ethereal quality to it (which I suspect was in part to do with the smoke from the fires as well as rain clouds, fluffy clouds and a sunset). I was busy looking west (sunset) but stopped to glance back a the Tower and was faced with this. From this viewpoint, the rainbow is coming out of Tower Bridge (that you can barely see in the background).

I can see a rainbow
London, it seems not everyone does, but I love you.

Ok, on to the scheduled programming - 10 on a Tuesday. Thanks Chelsea (& Kara)

1. Mac or Windows? (Or Linux for you super geeks!)
Windows.

2. What drew you to that operating system?
My Dad? It's what I grew up using at home and mostly in school (aside from Apple 2Es).

3. Mice – Wireless or Wired? Mouse pad or none?
I'd love a wireless one but I'm wired for now. Mouse pad at work, not at home.

4. Other than the Internet – What do you use your computer most for?
Photos and music.

5. What’s one computer-related thing you wish you were best at? (CSS, Photoshop, Excel, etc.)
Photoshop would be cool but I need another time suck like I need a hole in my head. CSS would be more useful. I think I'm pretty dandy at Excel (good enough for my role).

6. Describe the first time you ever used a computer.
Very first time? NFI. I remember playing with Logo writer in the study in my first home. And we had them at school from Grade 1 (1988) but I can't pinpoint the very first time.

7. How often do you upgrade to a new operating system?
When I get a new computer (at home) and then I have no choice (work).

8. Are you a short-cutter (CTRL+C) or a right-clicker?
I'm keyboard queen. Short cuts all the way - I find them so much quicker and easier than the mouse. The mouse is way to far away (like 5 - 10 inches away from my hand when I type.

9. Is computer-use a constant thing in your life (such as using it both at work and home) or do you get a break (because you don’t use them at work)?
Both. Although I don't actually turn my laptop on at home each night, so that might be considered my break? (I read blogs etc on my phone)

10. Where do you think the world would be if personal computers did not exist?
Outside? Checking mail boxes, stargazing, wander lusting? Being happy with our lot because we don't know what the Jones' have? I love computers like the next person but I do think they're taking over just a wee bit much. That, I'm in a bit of a "what is the world coming to" frame of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment