Friday, 25 November 2011

6. Bake macarons

There was some potential foreshadowing in the explanation for this one
6. Bake macaroons
I love them.  I think I will suck at them.  I want to try them.  That’s really all there is too it.  And if they fail, macaroon crumbs would be okay with ice-cream, wouldn’t they?
After a shout out on Facebook for tried and tested recipes, only one came forth.  A simple recipe; egg whites, ground almond, icing sugar and vanilla.  Whisk egg whites until stiff, fold in to premixed dry ingredients.  Pipe.  Let the tops set. Bake.
Aside from the obviously poor piping skills, I over cooked them.  I pulled them out of the oven at the minimum end of the baking time range in the recipe but they were still well overdone.  That said, I’m keen to try again soon.  Next time though, I’ll either lower the heat or the time to cook and maybe use a different food colour (ergo, make them look less nipple-y!).
Have you ever tried making macarons? Successfully?  Any recipes to share?

(Happy to share this recipe if you want to try it – let me know and I can type it up and email it to you).
My 30 before 30 list with progress marked

No comments:

Post a Comment