Monday, 7 November 2011

I’m moving to Las Vegas for 25 months

I’m really only telling you this so you know it’s my birthday in a few weeks  And to raise breast cancer awareness of course.

Can someone back up and tell me how the fck these memes* raise breast cancer awareness?  Updating my status to indicate where I’m moving (month = where you’re moving, day = how many months you are moving for) to me indicates nothing more than lack of independent thought and understanding.  And the bit in the email about telling the guys?  What the hell?  Frankly, I’m a little jealous of them because at least they don’t get this sht in their inbox. 

Not posting your take on the meme doesn’t mean your mum or sister will get breast cancer.  Equally, it doesn’t mean they won’t.  Checking your breasts, having mammograms and looking after yourself also don’t mean they won’t get breast cancer, but at least it can be detected early.

These memes really piss me off (clearly).  My facebook status at time of writing is:

Fullscreen capture 06112011 214702.bmp

If you want to know more about breast cancer (or bowel cancer which my mum suffered, or liver cancer which ultimately killed her, or brain tumours which killed my uncle, or lung cancer which killed my Pop or skin cancer which affects so many or any of the other 200+ cancers), I’d suggest starting at Cancer Research UK (or even google.com)

Lauren (from Texas) posted about these memes last time.  More eloquently than I can hope to.  More links as well.

* For the record, I’ve broken ranks and posted a copy of the meme below.  I’ve received it from some seriously educated people, and in a a few incarnations but here’s the most recent so if nothing else, at least you can work out when your friends' birthdays are:
Ladies, it is that time of year again! It is time to raise awareness for Breast Cancer.
Remember the status about our bra color or where we put our purse?? It made more people aware of the problem as it went viral on FB and made the news.
Don't tell any MEN what the status means! Copy, and resend this message to all your girl friends, let's see if we can make it work like before, keep them guessing, let's see if we make the news!
The idea is to use you birthdate, month and day only, no year!
Write: "I am going to live in (see corresponding city for your BD month below) for (day of your BD) months and a happy face

Ex. if your BD was on February 14th, then
" I am going to live in London for 14 months!!!!

January - Mexico
February - London
March - Miami
April - Dominican Republic
May - France
June - St. Petersburg
July - Austria
August - Germany
September - New York
October - Amsterdam
November - Las Vegas
December - Colombia

p.s.  Ironic much?
Facebook - Google Chrome 06112011 220720.bmp

16 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree. I refuse to participate in this nonsense. I'm aware of breast cancer, thank you. I've heard this called "slacktivism," the idea you can be an activist without actually being active. Give me a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too. In fact, I've never met anyone who was unaware of breast cancer... in fact, most people know (or are) someone who has it, or has had it. I think these memes are just an experiment to see if you can get something that silly to go viral, just by saying, "It will be a secret from the men!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a guy and I want to be made aware of any campaign that benefits those who suffer from any cancer NOT hidden from it because it only affects women... Kinda feels sometimes like the breast cancer charities don't want men involved but we DO CARE! lol besides, we need you! :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree! They make no sense and tend to make people go 'grrr' rather than heighten awareness as they're supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Norwegian male here, just saved from an embarassment by nearly asking two distant girlfriends to hook up in Miami for their lenghtend stay there. Would have been laugh for them and blush for me, and noone saved from cancer. Google is an amazing invention, though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. just because you're a hater doesn't mean you can hate on this. it was an act of awareness because they want all the girls to spread the idea of helping breast cancer! the boys eventually do find out and talk about it...thus the spread of AWARENESS to breast cancer. so thanks for showing how unsupportive you are of the cause..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. read what everyone else is writing on here and realize that you're completely wrong. everyone is telling the truth about how things are, and you're just calling this girl a hater because you probably feel silly about having just updated your status with this "game"! she's proven that she's supportive in her post... you pdating your status doesn't make you supportive of breast cancer awareness. this doesn't really do anything to "spread the idea of helping breast cancer"... and if it does, all it may spread is just that, the idea... it doesn't actually do anything to help. if you care so much, do something to actually help... seems like you're the one who is being a hater.


      Here's 9 more reasons why these status updates about women moving to blank place and for how long, is incredibly annoying...
      1. You're lying.
      2. You're not actually raising breast cancer awareness.
      3. Deliberately trying to exclude the male gender seems to support an agenda of a limitation of awareness.
      4. I can name at least a dozen friends/family who have suffered from, or who continue to suffer from cancer... but I'm pretty sure I have never met anyone who hasn't heard of breast cancer.
      5. You're clogging up my facebook wall, and people are trying to post important things on here, like, what kind of soda they're currently drinking, or that their cat just farted.
      6. You're ruining other people's ability to share the exciting news that they might actually be moving somewhere, without their having to explain that they're not trying to promote breast cancer awareness... and then having to write a follow-up post about how they didn't mean that they don't actually support breast cancer awareness... they love awareness; they love breasts; boooo cancer!
      7. An actual way to raise greater awareness of breast cancer, would be to discuss it in an intelligent and open manner.
      8. Isn't it time to raise awareness of some other disease for a while? Maybe we could even talk about it in a way that actually involves discussing the illness, instead of ignoring every word involved with it completely and then having you tell me the color of your bra strap.
      9. Updating your facebook status does not make you an activist; we all know that you were most likely posting that you're moving somewhere so that people will take interest in you.

      Delete
    2. haha - laughing at this one 5. You're clogging up my facebook wall, and people are trying to post important things on here, like, what kind of soda they're currently drinking, or that their cat just farted.
      Thanks for the support

      Delete
  7. agreed, this is really stupid and annoying. On another note...men can get breast cancer too.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/male-breast-cancer/DS00661

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agree....if we really want to raise awareness lets talk about it....why should we use codes to raise awareness....isn't it true if you hide something you are ashamed of it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen, sister! This drives me absolutely bonkers when I see my normally intelligent and independent thinking girlfriends posting this drivel as their status.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This drove me insane when I found out it was a secret over a silly little meme. I too am all for the awareness of breast cancer, if you want to spread awareness, the best thing to do is provide a link to information, not keep secrets from those who should be made aware.

    Without any information to spread awareness, this is just a "secret" that seems like it was created by a cruel little 14yr old.

    Is this meme going to make me talk about it aside from here? No. Am I going to forward it on? No.

    The only thing I have learned being a guy is to realise that when a girl says she has a secret but won't tell me, is to just ignore it since they are probably just looking for attention.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This campaign is wrong on so many levels. Here is how it impacted me:

    My ex-wife (who happens to have primary custody and care of our five year old son) posted this meme. Given her job, it moving wouldn't be unlikely, but it is possible.

    I spent five minutes staring at the screen feeling a combination of despair, shock and panic surge over me. It felt like my world had been yanked out from underneath my feet. A couple of phone calls later I managed to track down my ex and she explained that it “wasn’t real” and was for breast cancer awareness.

    Reflect for a moment how you would feel if your ex-spouse announced on Facebook that your young child was going to be removed from you for a period of months and taken to a foreign country. Then realizing that short of a lengthy and costly legal battle there would be nothing you could do about it. Would you feel helpless? Would you feel panic? Perhaps you would feel dread. I hope that you are starting to get the picture.

    I realize that part of any blame must be placed with the person who posts. However, appealing to the poster to “Don't tell any MEN what the status means!” and “keep them guessing” is irresponsible and counterintuitive to an ‘awareness campaign’. These messages encourage the person posting to keep the intent secret under the guise of creating a more successful campaign. What was the creator of this campaign thinking? Is it the policy of Breast Cancer Awareness organizations to operate from a position of exclusivity?

    In my case, this policy proved to be agonizing, stress invoking and downright spiteful. The campaign certainly raised my awareness of how callous and thoughtless some people can be - on individual and organizational levels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally agree with everything said. Just one little thing, don't want to sound picky, but since when have Mexico, Dominican Republic, France, Austria, Germany or Colombia been cities? I know I may be being a little off topic but does it not (in addition to everything said above) just serve to associate breast cancer awareness (and women) with utter stupidity?

    My sister posted this on her FB profile, and being that she would have no idea where St. Petersburg was, I got suss, so I googled it and found your blog. Just needed to rant about the whole moronic affair, so thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. just want to say "GOOD JOB!" haha~ and I just put this on my fb status:

    "I am going to New York for 4 months to raise the awareness that ... hey ladies~ mum give us all men a breast as well and yes we are capable to get cancer there though ours are smaller~"

    ReplyDelete