Sunday, 20 May 2012

Thames Path–Barnes Bridge to Richmond

Last weekend saw me with a free and easy weekend with no plans.  Keen to keep chugging along at my walking goal and to get some training in, I set off to walk some of the Thames Path both Saturday and Sunday.  After a lovely lie in (read: getting up after noon) and some procrastination, I set off quite late and knocked out the last of what I consider the suburban section of London.
To be fair, there’s a further three miles for me to walk to have covered all of the tidal Thames, and there’s another 10-15 miles until I reach the M25 (London’s orbital motorway).  But Richmond is the last part of the Thames Path I can reach by tube.  From here on out, it’s all national rail.
I stayed on the south bank for the duration, enjoying walking with the sun on my back.  This section (part of section 13) goes past Kew Gardens (with fields of purple), my uncles favourite pub, many a lovely waterfront home and under several bridges.  It’s enjoyable easy walking but reasonably non descript.  Distance covered on Saturday was low, only about 7 miles.

I've walked 42 of the 180 miles so far this year. Only another 138 miles to go.

All Thames Path posts can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment