Wednesday, 27 June 2012

App Review - Popsicolor

 
If you follow me on either twitter or Instagram you’ve probably already seen at least one of the pics in this post.  @Postagram tweeted about a new photo app last night that had some pretty instant appeal for me.

IMG_3830
Popsicolor, by the makers of Percolator (you know the circle filled pics you see?) watercolour washes your photos.  I spent some time last night playing around with it and loving what I could do.  There are a choice of colours for both top and bottom of the pic with them blending in between.  I tended to stick to the Blue Agave (aqua) and the strangely named Cotton Candy (a royal blue) but did mix it up at times.  The wash/effect can then be focused in different strengths (minimal, natural, bold) all giving different outcomes.

I really like this app and for £0.69 (I think $0.99 in the US store) it's value given it's fun and different to those that I already have. I can see me using this to get the header I want for this blog at some point.

Here are some of the results (L-R; minimal, natural, bold) of last night’s playing, along with the original photos I was editing


For the most part, the minimal is my favourite effect although natural gives more context.  The bold doesn’t do much for me although it does seem to do better on the darker image (and avoids looking like a big white cloud)

IMG_3858IMG_3856IMG_3857IMG_3859
Some screenshots just showing how easy it is to use. In addition to the colours you can see above, there is red, orange, a reddy-brown and a gray.

  • Photos can be taken in app or picked up from your camera roll
  • Size of image can be adjusted (1024px, 1536px, 2048px and source size, mine defaults to 2048)
  • Colours remixed (ie. randomised)
  • Picture saved to camera roll.
I should point out that this app is new and I whilst I like it, there is some really obvious room for improvement.  Namely:
  • Speed – it can take a while for colour changes etc to take affect.  Given it has a bit to do, this doesn't bother me that much.
  • Applying changes – it redraws/washes/paints the pic after every change (ie. top colour, bottom colour, focus changes).  Given the slow speed at which these occur, it would be great if you could select all the changes and then just have them applied at once (a go button almost).  It also resets the colour choices with each change in focus, adding processing time.
  • Background – this is super minor but it would be great if there were different backing options, especially black.  For the most part I like the white but choice can be a good thing.

So this app I recommend and think it can only get better.  Any photo app recommendations for me?  I’m currently loving this, Fuzel, easyTITLER, Snapseed and 360 and will occasionally use a few others with a review on 360 coming soon.  If you are using Popsicolor, share-share, I want to see!
My favourite @popsicolor pic of my favourite London icon #towerbridge #london #popsicolor
Leaving you with my favourite popsicolor’d pic so far

No comments:

Post a Comment