Monday, 25 June 2012

Weekly Money Check-up


The Weekly Money Check-Up is a (yep, weekly) post that Ginna over a My Pretty Pennies does.  Something you may not know about me is I follow a heap of personal finance blogs (getting out debt, savings etc). The blogs I tend to like are very much from a personal perspective with a focus on finance, but how they’re doing it and not at all about them telling us how we should do our finances.  Ginna’s now out but use to be anonymous and I’ve been following her for a few years now I think.  As well as pf she does some fitness posts, recipes and other random delights.  Can you tell I’m a fan?
Each week Ginna poses five questions.  Four are static and the fifth one changes each week.  I’m not going to be playing along each week (I like pf blogs, I don’t want this one to become one and I’m pretty sure you guys reading along don’t need to/want to know about my finances!) but this week I am.
1. The most I’ve spent this last week was on travel.  Paying for a trip to Central Asia at the end of September.  It’s for just over two weeks and whilst I don’t really know what to expect, I’m super excited about it.  I’ll be flying into Kyrgyz Republic, travelling through Kazakhstan and flying home from Uzbekistan.  There is camel riding, a lot of camping and over landing, national parks, mountains, lakes, hiking, farm stays, fermented goats milk and who knows what else. 

2. Today I am thankful for being able to work from home.  The NHS is a great medical service but getting appointments at convenient times (first thing or last thing) can be trying.  Knowing that I have the flexibility to work from home to accommodate mid day appointments (for regular screening etc, nothing worrisome) is great.  Bonus that my laundry is outside drying in the sun, I’m in shorts and barefoot and I haven’t brushed my hair.

3. Money can’t buy happiness. One free thing I did last week that made me happy was walking around London city.  I had some errands to do yesterday (returns etc) and wondered the mostly deserted streets of the city on my home.  Non Londoners may not realise that whilst the west end is heaving on a weekend but a lot of the shops & restaurants in the square mile are closed on Sunday so it’s usually pretty empty).  I love that this walk (and many walks near my house) take me past the Tower of London and Tower Bridge.

4. I will consider this week a success if I sort out some life admin.  I’m away for two weeks in July so I’ve got some boring mundane things to do ahead of it.  I need to apply for a series of visas and things over the coming months and the timing is tricky with other trips I’ve got scheduled.  I want to get my head around how it will all work so that I don’t worry about it.

5. My favourite part of the day is the intersection of afternoon and evening.  When people are heading home from work or on to their evening plans.  There is such a feeling of anticipation.  I’ll make up stories for people I come across.  Why they might be rushing or rambling.  Who they’re rushing to, what they’re avoiding etc.  It feels like a time filled with so much potential and its a time of day that somehow suits England so very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment