Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Dubrovnik–The prettiest town I ever did see


panorama  IMG_4980panorama  IMG_4874panorama  IMG_4971IMG_4844IMG_4986IMG_4875IMG_4872IMG_4982IMG_4983IMG_4988panorama  DSCF0447
IMG_4893IMG_4999IMG_4895IMG_4933

Thinking London might be a bit hectic during the Olympics and knowing my tickets were all for very early in the piece, a colleague and I booked a long weekend in Dubrovnik, Croatia.  The only beachy weekend I’ve booked for this year, I had high expectations for lazy swims, beachside naps and ice cold cocktails. We were blessed with low thirties every day and warm evenings that didn’t require anything more than a sundress.

My friends, Dubrovnik did not disappoint.  Knowing the old town is was a UNESCO World Heritage Site and having heard great things about it, I was still shocked by just how beautiful this town is.  Easily the prettiest town I ever did see.  Easily.  This is despite a massive earthquake in 1667 and the bombings of the Yugoslav conflict in the early 1990s.

As well as a gorgeous old town, plenty of fresh seafood and flavoursome gelato, it really was all about the beach.  I managed to fit in about fifteen swims over the three days I was there.  Mostly at Banje Beach, just outside of the old town where we rented a cabana like thing (for whilst I love the beach, I hate lying in the sun and need shade).  Pretending to be adventurous, we did actually venture out on a day trip on Saturday, day sailing around the Elaphite Islands (Lopud, Kolocep and Sipan) where we indulged in some more gelato, swimming and cold beverages.

These three days in the sun and water were exactly what I wanted.  A perfect long weekend.

How were your weekends?  Warm enough for swimming or was that the last thing on your mind?

(panoramas in this post were taken on a new-to-me app, DMD which is free.  Not as extensive in it’s abilities as 360 but easier to use, it’s one I’d happily recommend)

No comments:

Post a Comment