Friday, 24 August 2012

It's Safe to Say I'm a Coffee Drinker


It’s safe to say I’m a coffee drinker. I’ve spoken of my love of coffee many times before, especially with my colleagues.

Last Saturday as we* sat out in the blazing sunshine, sweating whilst drinking coffee, we discussed that maybe (just maybe), we drink too much coffee?  Debate ensued on whether we were addicted (make no mistake, I am) and whether we should cut back or give up or something? 

That lead to the hare-brained idea to go cold turkey this week.  We decided it would be easier if we all did it and replaced our morning coffee run with a smoothie run instead (so we could still enjoy the social side of coffee and have a break from our desks).  If there was any doubt that I wasn’t addicted, the sweats, the shakes, the lack of focus and the monster headache I had for Sunday and Monday removes it.  I need my coffee.  

We’ve spent the week not drinking coffee (or caffeine generally, no tea or coke or anything in its place).  Whilst the smoothie run was designed to help, it’s only been so useful.  It just doesn’t give us the caffeine (or the taste and smell of the coffee).  Aside from the headache (seriously, it was awful, I took painkillers for it and I’m not really big into painkillers), my diet** has suffered.  In place of coffee, I’ve eaten all the junk, all the sugar, all the salt.  Crisps, chocolates, cake etc.  As often as I’ve had them in its place, they are no substitute for coffee.

So with the week nearly over, I’m pretty excited about having a coffee.  I hope we can find some nice ones in Kiev*** this weekend.

How many coffees do you average a day?  Can you happily go without? 

* We being my colleagues Anna and Dave and I
** Diet being my food intake, not a prescriptive weight loss healthy eating regime thing.
*** That’s right.  The three of us are off to Kiev this weekend with Anna’s fiancée.  Anna’s Ukrainian and along with her brother and cousin, she’s going to be our tour guide.  I’m pretty excited about this seemingly random trip.

3 comments:

  1. I usually only hayve one to two coffees a day, so I feel like I'm doing ok. I'd be lost without my morning cup though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually only hayve one to two coffees a day, so I feel like I'm doing ok. I'd be lost without my morning cup though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I drink maybe one per day - even though I REALLY enjoy the coffee here in Melbourne! However I always use to drink more tea... :)

    ReplyDelete