Friday, 23 November 2012

30: The Year That Was


31
Captions at bottom of post

Sunday marks my 31st Birthday.  What a non milestone huh?  Befittingly, I will be spending the day packing my boxes for the shippers to collect on Monday.  Still, it’s been a fantastic year so I want to get a few points down.

It started in the Czech Republic, hangover after celebrating my 30th friends until the not so small hours of the morning. It ends at Disneyland Paris (where I will be spending tomorrow with a bunch of friends).

It included a trip home to Australia, to stand beside my friend as she married her best, to parasail with my brother over Moreton Island, to wake up Christmas morning at the family farm.

It included some solo travel to places I’d longed to visit.  Solo to Cornwall, Guernsey, Denmark & Sweden.

It included some group travel when I wasn’t as brave or organised: Jordan, Egypt, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan & Uzbekistan.

It included some travel with friends when the stars, our diaries and our interests aligned; Northern Ireland, Gibraltar, Poland, Scotland, Croatia & Ukraine as well as around England.

It included walking across England, 320kilometres from coast to coast

It included returning to being a meat eater, albeit slowly and tentatively at first.

It included switching roles at work, a change I was thankful for and will hopefully help with the job hunt when I return.

It included my first (and most likely last) flying lesson.

It included lots of good food and coffee and indulgences.

It included more time on my own than usual.  A lot of solo time this year, time to think and read and make some big decisions.

And lastly, and probably of the most importance, all these things led to it including packing up and taking the steps to say goodbye to London, and this life I’ve carved out here.

Here’s to next year, and all that it brings.


Pictures are, L-R, top – bottom:
Prague | Brunswick Street, Melbourne | Parasailing off Moreton Island, Queensland | Giant’s Causeway, Northern Ireland
Treyarnon Bay, Cornwall | the Monastery, Petra, Jordan | Great Pyramids, Giza, Egypt | An ape overlooking Gibraltar
A watchtower at Auschwitz II-Birkenau, Poland | the view from atop Ben Nevis, Scotland | out for a bike ride, Sark, Channel Isles | Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen
Turning Torso, Malmo, Sweden | Setting on a long walk, St Bees’s, West coast of England | Dubrovnik, Croatia | Saint Sophia Cathedral, Kiev, Ukraine
Durdle’s Door, Dorset, UK | Tup Kol, Kyrgyzstan, Aksu River, Aksu Zhabagly, Kazakhstan, Tashkent, Uzbekistan

No comments:

Post a Comment