Thursday, 14 March 2013

Where I went- the holiday to home



There is just so much to share with you about my trip from London to Melbourne.  I'm still sorting through the thousands of photos I took, editing some of the video and gathering my thoughts on how to best share. 

For now though, I'm just going to list out my route in a style similar to Breanna's route sharing over at This Battered Suitcase.

LONDON - MUSCAT* - KATHMANDU - KATHMANDU VALLEY - POKHARA - KATHMANDU - VARANASI - AGRA - LUCKNOW - DEHLI - KOCHI - THEKADDY - VARKALA - KOCHI  - MUMBAI* - JOHANNESBURG * - CAPETOWN - CITRUSDAL - ORANGE RIVER - FISH RIVER CANYON - SESRIEM - BETHANIE - SWAKOPMUND - SPITZEKOPPE - ETOSHA - WINDHOEK - GOBABIS - GHANZI - MAUN - OKAVANGO DELTA - MAKGADIKGADI - BULAWAYO - MATOBOS - HWANGE - VICTORIA FALLS - CHOMA - LOWER ZAMBESI - LUANGWA - LUSAKA - SOUTH LUANGWA - LILLONGWE - KANDE BEACH - CHTIMBA - IRINGA - DAR ES SALAAM - STONETOWN - NUNGWI - DAR ES SALAAM* - NAIROBI - LAKE NAKURU - ELDORET - KAMPALA - QUEEN ELIZABETH NATIONAL PARK - LAKE BUNYONI - BWINDI IMPENETRATABLE FORREST - KABALE - KIGALI - JINJA - NAIVASHA - NAIROBI - DUBAI - MELBOURNE.

The abridged version is:
UK - NEPAL - INDIA - SOUTH AFRICA - NAMIBIA - BOTSWANA - ZIMBABWE - ZAMBIA - MALAWI - TANZANIA - KENYA - UGANDA - RWANDA - UGANDA - KENYA - UAE - AUSTRALIA.

For reference and explanation, most of my time in Africa was part of two distinct overland tours.  Cape Town through to Dar Es Salaam was this one with Dragoman (in reverse for me).  The gorilla trip was Acacia Africa's Gorilla Encounter.  I'll share my thoughts on the pros and cons of overlanding, group tours, these specific tours etc in the coming weeks.

*These were airport stopovers only and don't go on my trip advisor map. Kigali, Rwanda, is the only town I've included where we didn't spend the night.

{Picture at top is the view from the tail camera on the Emirates A380 as we came into Melbourne to land, as seen on my in seat entertainment screen}

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Thanks for the abridged version btw, as in the full version, I don't know where most of those places are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, you've not heard of makgadikgadi? No worries! Welcome back to blog world.

    ReplyDelete