Monday, 15 July 2013

Made by Me: Pulled Pork Tacos

IMG_5284IMG_5286IMG_5289

Even before my recent trip to Central America and Mexico, pulled pork has been my go to meat.  In the year or two I haven’t been a vegetarian, it’s pig products I gravitate towards, especially flavoursome ones.

Having enjoyed pulled pork out and about and thinking of making it for a long time, I finally tried it out.  I tried it and I liked it.  I’ve seen quite a few recipes for it and some seem more involved than others, so much so that I was a bit scared to try.  It was only when I got to the markets yesterday afternoon that I googled a recipe and settled on this one.  Cooking time is 2 hours total, with 90 minutes there in the middle that require little to no attention.  Good time to watch a movie or something really.

The recipe I followed is this Mexican pulled pork one from Taste.com.au. Pros include that that it was not too involved and didn’t require hours cooking (not an option when you don’t buy the meat until circa 3pm) or a slow cooker (we didn’t have access to one yesterday).  Cons include that as yummy as it is, I like a smoky or bbq flavour as well.  I’m pretty sure I’ll make it again, but maybe just adding some bbq sauce to the pork whilst it cooks, or might garnish with chipotle Tabasco if I can find it or something similar here in Australia.

IMG_5290IMG_5292IMG_5296IMG_5297

We had it with mini tortillas, sour cream, corn salsa, guacamole, green chillies and Tabasco. I didn’t make the salsa or guac to a recipe but those links approximate what I did (sans tomato in the guac).  That said, if you only wanted to make one side, this charred corn guacamole that Amy over at The Anxious Hippie has posted about today sounds delicious.

From the fun of finding the ingredients at the market to prepping and then eating, this was a wonderful dinner.  I’d happily eat it again and again.

IMG_5303

Oh what’s that?  I did today, for lunch.  There were no tortillas left but cos lettuce leaves work just as well and are a decent GF option.

Are you a pulled pork fan? Or have any go to taco filling recipes for me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment