Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Melbourne Wanderings: William Ricketts Sanctuary


On a rainy Tuesday not that long ago, I was taken on a surprise date.  The location?  William Ricketts Sanctuary in the Dandenongs, Victoria.  I worked out we were heading to the Dandenongs early on in the piece but I never guessed we were headed to the sanctuary as I never knew it existed.

William Ricketts  (7){William Ricketts work; the grotto}

Once the home of sculptor and artist, William Ricketts, it is now run by Parks Victoria.  His former cottage and workshops are now education  showing some intriguing videos about the man and his works.  Speaking of his works, the wooden sculptors and carvings are set amongst the ferns and mountain ash in the grounds. 
William Ricketts  (13)William Ricketts  (14)William Ricketts  (1)William Ricketts  (2)William Ricketts  (12)William Ricketts  (5)William Ricketts  (9)William Ricketts  (10)William Ricketts  (8)
{more of his works, including the last one, a self portrait}

If you’re in Australia, have you heard of William Ricketts? Or his sanctuary? Entry is free and I’d considered it well worth a visit if you’re nearby.
Elsewhere, have you been late to discover something free and intriguing near you?

2 comments:

  1. That's really cool! I have been to Australia, but I did not go to (or know about) that place! What a fun place for a date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - I don't think I realised you came to Australia. When/where was that? This is a tiny little sanctuary and probably off the tourists radar (heck, it was off my radar) but I love finding things like this near to home.

      Delete