Sunday, 8 December 2013

Sunday Suggestions


IMG_6410IMG_6400IMG_6427
{From Sundays gone by}


Happy Sunday! I’m heading down the coast for the day and I’m pretty excited about it. Life got a bit busy there, what, with adjusting to work again, setting up home and things. It’s only the last week or two I’ve hit my stride again. The pics above are from a Sunday spend wandering Point Nepean back in September. I haven’t been very present online during this time but I’ve been lurking around the internet, reading a plenty. Some of those things I consider well worth sharing.  For your Sunday reading pleasure, here’s some of them:

10 things I want my daughter to know about working out – “The planet looks different from a bike or a pair of skis than it does from a car or an airplane.  Out in the elements you have the time and space to notice details and meet people and remember smells and bugs and mud and rain and the feeling of warm sunshine on your face.  And those are the moments that make up your life.”
Or in my case, what I want my niece to know. I like to think my parents set a good example, and we were always out and about, but it’s only recently that I’ve focused on what my body is capable of and once more fallen in love with the outdoors. This article hits a really big nail on the head.

A scientific guide to saying no – as someone who needs down time and solo time, saying no can often be a big problem in my life. Recognising I need nights in alone is one thing but committing to it and maying it happen? Well learning to say No is the first step.

Have you chosen your calendars for next year?  I gave my folks one of these Vintage Maps one last year, and maybe I’ll treat myself for to one for next year. Or the Around the World one, or the London one. Or perhaps I’ll do something with my many photos and make one. Regardless of what adorns my walls next year, this humorous post on the New Yorker, The Man Who Invented the Calendar cracks me up. That extra R in February caught me out for years

Not new, and certainly not to devoted West Wing watchers (of which I’m slowly becoming one) but it turns out we’ve been mislead with an erroneous map of the world for years. I’m struggling a little to find a globe I like at a price point I’m happy with that is up to date – it’s incredible how many still don’t have South Sudan on them. Turns out South Sudan is the least of my worries, the whole world is out of scale.

This butternut pumpkin macaroni and cheese tastes as good as it sounds. Paired with good friends, good red and good chat, it makes for a great night.  If you’re feeling cheeky, send a link to it to your friends and suggest a get together. One might volunteer to host and cook it (thanks K). At least, that’s what happened to me.  And if you’re that lucky, be sure to remember these common sense tips to being a good dinner party guest.

I’m trying to get pen to paper on my Central Asia trip from last year currently (look out for Kyrgyzstan recap soon, with Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan to follow) but this piece on border patrol at Uzbekistan cracks me right up. Exiting the airport in Tashkent proved to be quite a comedy for me as I went from station to station, collecting paperwork, completing paperwork, exchanging completed paperwork for the next set of paperwork. That said, it’s all part of travel sometimes and things like that just remind me of how far from home I am, in the best possible way.

Blinded by the White of the Southern OCean’s Majestic Icebergs.  Antarctica seems like the traveller’s holy grail. It’s high on my list and the more I read and see of it, the more I need to see and read about it.  This blog series on the Guardian by painter in residence, John Kelly, is wonderful. He doesn’t try and hide his excitement and incredulity at what he is seeing.
Snow isn’t something I’ll be up close and personal with anytime soon but these incredible macro photos of snowflakes and snow crystals are mesmerising.

What’s your favourite thing on the internet lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment