Tuesday, 16 December 2014

Four Things


Kerala Dec 2012 (2)Kerala Dec 2012 (3)Kerala Dec 2012 (5)Kerala Dec 2012 (4)

Here’s my take on a meme doing the rounds currently. Lisa, Amber & Allison have all done it and I’m joining in. Also, have four random photos I took about two years ago in Kerala, India. I never have blogged much about my time in India but it’s topical now as we’re heading back next week. Not to Kerala sadly, because looking at these pictures really makes me want to!
Four names that people call me other than my real name:
  1. Aunty Poo – blame my brothers for this one. Poo oh so conveniently rhymes with Sue.
  2. Swells – not my name but not far off.
  3. SusieQ – a family nickname before Poo took over. The extended family and friends that have known me from my childhood use this one.
  4. Wellsy jnr – not for a long time but growing in the shadows of my older brother, that’s what a lot of his mates called me.

Four jobs I’ve had:
  1. Risk Analyst/Business Analyst – credit risk analyst in an investment bank setting
  2. Tax accountant – I started my career in personal and employment taxes at a big 4
  3. Bar maid – I’ve worked the bar both in Leeds, UK and here in Melbourne. The Melbourne gig was pretty much just pulling beers at the MCG during footy season. Easy money during uni, that’s for sure.
  4. Box Office Bitch – for lack of a better phrase. I worked at the local cinema during high school. I was predominantly in the box office selling tickets but I also worked in the candy bar, popping popcorn and scooping choc tops. There was some time spent on floor, clearing cinemas and ushering but it really was predominantly in the box office. Such a great high school job. Paid well and 2 free tickets a day.

Four movies I’ve watched more than once:
  1. Ten Things I Hate About You.  I’ve watched this more than once in the same day. I was obsessed with this movie.
  2. Love Actually. Christmas movie of choice, although it can easily be watched year round.
  3. Before Sunrise. I feel like this movie plays a small part in my wanderlust
  4. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Love this movie, great cast and beautiful setting.


Four places I’ve lived:

  1. Leeds, UK (0.5 years) – I deferred during my uni days to go and travel around Europe before I settled into my Mum’s home town for a little while, working as a barmaid at a hotel bar.
  2. London, UK (4.5 years) – this comes as no suprise, right?
  3. South eastern suburbs, Melbourne (I now live a few suburbs closer in than where I grew up but I’m still in the Sth East)
  4. West Gippsland. Sort of. That’s where my parents are and I returned to after my travels. It remains my postal address for things I’ve been to slack to change as well.

Four places I’ve visited:

  1. Cuba
  2. Kyrgyzstan
  3. Zambia
  4. Iceland.
This one was both hard and easy. Easy to list four, hard to chose which four to list. You can see from my travel page I get around, so to speak. I’ve chosen some of my favourites above though from the different regions I’ve been to.


Four things I prefer not to eat:
  1. Bananas. They smell gross, they sound gross when people eat them and they are just gross. I don’t think I’m allergic or anything but I have had to get off public transport when people are eating them too near to me. I have also vommed on a ‘friend’ who thought it would be funny to mash one in my face knowing how much I don’t like them.
  2. Chicken. It freaks me out. Other meats, including turkey? No problem. Chicken? No way, no how, no thanks.
  3. Eyes. This is a bit general but I can’t handle eyeballs on my plate. Whole fish or prawns that I need to shell myself etc. Just can’t get past the eyes. I do realise you don’t eat the eyes, but I won’t eat any part of the produce if the eyeball is on my plate.
  4. Melon. Watermelon is my least detested but I still don’t like it and think it smells. Cantaloupe and honeydew are just gross. Slimy smelly grossness.

Four of my favourite foods:
  1. Blue cheese. Can’t get enough of good blue cheese. Sometimes I like them strong, sometimes crumbly and sometimes soft but I love blue cheese.
  2. Chocolate brownies. I have no resistance.
  3. Almond croissants. Such an indulgent treat but I don’t think I’ve ever had one I haven’t loved.
  4. Crisp cold granny smith apples on a hot day. Cut and quartered of course. Yum.

Four TV shows I watch
  1. Orange is the New Black. We’re behind but slowly making our way through this.
  2. Newsroom. I don’t have cable but my folks record it so I can watch it at the farm
  3. West Wing. Another DVD box set I’m working my way through.
  4. Ellen. Not often but of all the talk shows etc, she’s easily the most enjoyable for me. 

Four things I’m looking forward to this year:
  1. Returning to India – next Monday actually! We’re heading over there for three weeks over Christmas. I’ll be revisiting a few places but seeing so many new ones.
  2. Getting a job. I finished my last contract 30 Sep and am hunting for a new role. I’ve enjoyed the break and being available to friends and family as needed but ready to go again. The joys of being a contractor in a fickle market.
  3. Babies. Hell no, not mine. But seeing my friends babies and my little niece (currently 9 months) grow and develop and show their personalities.
  4. Bike riding. Just something I want to get back into a bit.


Four things I’m always saying:
  1. Shit happens. Not the polities thing to say but I do say it a lot.
  2. FFS. Usually under my breath, thankfully.Usually the expanded version that doesn’t need to be typed. Usually in moments when people don’t let you off the tram/train before they try to get on, or when they walk 4 abreast on the footpath at the pace of my 98year old arthritis ridden grandad. Or when they show a general lack of awareness.
  3. Hi. Can I please have a skinny flat white, take away, regular size? My daily coffee order.
  4. Once I get a job. I’m fine financially not working for a bit because of savings and all that but I have cut a lot of superfluous spending. Things I want but don’t need (think a new rug for the living room or something like that) are being postponed.
This makes me really sound like a potty mouth but for the most part, I'm not.

Kerala Dec 2012 (1)
And one last gratuitous Kerala photo. This one as the sunset in Cochin.  Of the tope four, the beachy ones (1 & 4) are in Varkala whilst the backwater ones (2 & 3) are near Alleppey

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have an awesome trip to India! I love reading these posts because I always learn new things about the blogger. Pass your bananas and melon to me as I will eat them, and you can have my blue cheese. ;)

    I had a hard time picking 4 places I have visited, too!

    ReplyDelete